Skip to main content

Posts

Descendants of the Sun

  Captain of the Korean Special Forces Yoo Si-jin and Dr. Kang Mo-yeon are people he encounters while transporting a juvenile thief to the hospital with Master Sergeant Seo Dae-young.  He draws her in right away, but she thinks he was the one who hurt the man. They begin dating when their mistake is cleared up, and everything seems to be going well until he gets moved to Uruk, a fictitious nation in the Balkans. Though it would mark the end of their romance, Dr. Kang and her staff are soon given the responsibility of managing a field hospital in Uruk. The soldier and doctor are reunited as a result. Together, they had to overcome a number of threats, including an earthquake and a run-in with a band of criminals lead by one of Yoo Si-former jin's allies. There are other relationships; Master Sergeant Seo Dae-young has an on-again, off-again relationship with First Lieutenant Yoon Myung-ju, who is forbidden from dating enlisted men by her father, a general. I really liked this seri

Elvis Review

 Elvis is stylistically obnoxious, narratively messy and nauseatingly edited… and I’m here for it. I was ready to walk out after the first 20 minutes. I hated it. However, this infectiously energetic movie got under my skin, and I slowly found myself beginning to have a good time. This ain’t your grandma’s biopic, after all - This is a Baz Luhrmann joint.


Based on the trailers, I wasn’t entirely sold on Austin Butler playing the legendary rock and roll icon, but my god, was I wrong. Austin Butler IS Elvis. He’s nothing short of sensational, and I won’t be the least bit surprised if he lands an acting nomination come awards season. He embodies Presley with a performance that’s so much more than an impression - his voice, his mannerisms, his iconic moves - it all amounts to one of the best performances so far this year.

Luhrmann’s unique direction is both the film’s greatest strength and its biggest weakness. He’s often more focused on the ol’ razzle dazzle than he is on telling a story. Considering the whopping 159 minute runtime, there are a lot of big life events that get glossed over, even though there was more than enough time for them. The second half of the film, which focuses on Elvis’ Vegas residency, is far more focused, and much better than the scattered first half.

On one hand, I wish Baz had practiced a bit of restraint with the storytelling. On the other, I’m glad he didn’t, because this biopic is anything but ordinary. It’s wildly creative and eccentric in a way only he could pull off, and it’s a lot more exciting because of it. Paired with an incredible performance from Austin Butler, Elvis is an experience I won’t soon forget.


Comments

Post a Comment

Our Best Posts